As November wraps up, we begin to set our sights on Christmas and end of year celebrations. Our busy schedules get even fuller with decorating the tree and perusing the mall for the perfect gifts. During this busy time, we often forget the importance of recognizing our employees and showing our appreciation for them. While the process of giving gifts to employees can be awkward, it doesn’t have to be! Here are a few things to keep in mind this holiday season.
Make it personal
Not every employee will have the same taste in gifts, or even the same language of appreciation. Use what you know about each employee to show you care for them as an individual. A personalized gift will not only bring a smile to their face, but help to build a positive relationship.
Don’t wait till the last minute
Although you may want to procrastinate buying your Christmas gifts for your employees, resist the temptation! Selecting and giving your gifts early helps to take the pressure off of you as a manager during this busy time, and makes your employees feel appreciated knowing they were a priority for you.
Write a card
A handwritten card adds a tangible reminder that you are wishing them well in the season and value them as another individual, not just a direct report. Especially if your present is intangible (like extra paid vacation days), make sure to pen a letter reminding your employee that you appreciate them and hope they enjoy the holidays. This small token will bring joy to both the giver and receiver.
Keeping that advice in mind, here are some gift ideas for your employees to leave you inspired:
Extra paid leave
- For the family man or woman on your team, an extra day off to spend with children may be a perfect gift to celebrate the season.
- Maybe someone has been dying to try that new restaurant in uptown with rave reviews. A $100 gift card there will be the perfect treat to enjoy a night out.
- For the wine connoisseur in your department, a nice wine or even a gift certificate to a wine tasting will be a classy and personal gift.
- Literature has the ability to connect people, so a favorite and influential book of yours, paired with a handwritten note on the inside cover, would make for a present that will live on in their mind.
- Perhaps you are both avid bike riders on the weekends. Why not gift your employee a favorite new gadget for their bike? Sharing your hobby in not only talks around the office, but in gadgets too will help to strengthen your relationship as coworkers and friends.
If you need a little more help with Holiday gifts for employees we’re here for you! Contact us to get in touch, we would love to help.